12.29.2011

Holiday Gingerbread with Cream Cheese Icing


Oh my gosh I made the most delicious gingerbread the other day. 



I had some fresh ginger leftover from all of the Thanksgiving festivities, and I thought to myself, what better way is there to try to make it feel like winter even though you live in Florida than to bake gingerbread?


The answer is that there is no better way. But, okay, actually the question was rhetorical, so I understand if you didn't actually try to answer it.


I found gingerbread recipes in a couple cookbooks but none of them called for fresh ginger, so I chopped it finely and improvised. 

Here's what I did for the gingerbread:

1) I preheated the oven to 350 degrees (F).
2) I placed 3/4 c. of salted butter, 2/3 c. of brown sugar, and 3/4 c. of light corn syrup in a pan over medium heat. When it was all melted, I removed it from the heat.
3) I beat in a splash of orange juice, 2 eggs, 2 c. of self-rising flour, 1/2 c. of whole wheat flour, 3 tsp. of finely chopped fresh ginger, and a couple pieces of more coarsely chopped candied ginger.
4) Then, I poured it into a square (9"x9") greased pan and baked it for about 43 minutes.


And here's what I did for the cream cheese icing:

1) I beat together 4 tbsp. of salted butter, 3 tbsp. of cream cheese, 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar, and a bit a lemon juice.
2) Then, I spread it on the cooled gingerbread, and topped it off with some chopped candied ginger and it was so great and you should try out this recipe!


xo,
SF


What I'm reading right now: On the Road by Jack Kerouac 





No comments: