11.19.2011

Viral Spirals (inspired by Zooey Deschanel)


A TV show that I'm loving right now is New Girl starring the adorable Zooey Deschanel. Something that I think is cool about her, among other things, is the way she hasn't changed her hair very much in the years that she has been famous. Her big brown curls and long, wispy bangs have become a sort of signature of hers, and although I don't have bangs, I decided to try to recreate her look.









If you have hair anything like the hair in the image below, you might sometimes hold out a piece of it to each side of your head and think, "Hmph, my hair is so bleh and difficult to manage. I could only ever hope to wear my hair the way Zooey does on New Girl." And then you might sigh. But then, you might turn on your handy computer and head on over to your favorite new blog, The Lauren/Spencer Project. 



"Can Spencer from my favorite new blog, The Lauren/Spencer Project, really help me attain Zooey's bouncy curls?" you may even wonder aloud. 

Why yes, yes she can.


The first step is to brush your hair and spray a heat protectant in it, because it's HILARIOUS (as shown above), and also because it's important to protect your hair from the DANGEROUS things like heat styling.


Step #2 is to dig up that hair straightener you got three years ago that was really pretty inexpensive for a hair straightener, so it doesn't do the best job of making your hair straight, if you like that sort of thing, but does help to smooth out those wiggly bits of hair by your forehead that were once bangs that you cut yourself the day before school picture day and are now some sort of in-between layer that doesn't blend very nicely into the rest of the hair because you did cut it yourself, after all.


Now, you're ready to do some curling! (And I don't mean the sport) Using a 1" curling iron, wrap smallish sections of hair around the barrel with the clamp open, always moving away from your face.


Next, wait maybe 10 seconds and then catch the curl in your hand, and, if you're me, make a weird face sort of like you're so delighted that you finally caught something (even though they said you never would in elementary school gym class) that you just have to close your winged liner-clad eyes to suppress your utter joy. I like to think this helps the curl stay intact after you let go of it. Well, the catching it in your hand, not the weird eye thing.


Have your sister take some cool angled shots of you curling your hair if you plan on blogging about the experience later. If you don't, you can skip this step. 


When you've finished curling all of your hair, you can spray it with hairspray or not spray it with hairspray if you've just run out of your favorite and only one (RIP Dove Flexible Hold).



I named this hairstyle "viral spirals" because TF and I are going to try our best to make this picture go viral on Tumblr. I don't have a Tumblr account. We just think the concept of things going "viral" is hilarious. More on that later.


I hope you turned your hair from drab to Zooey-inspired fab(ulous) with my help! 


xo,
SF


What I'm listening to right now: If It Kills Me by Jason Mraz

2 comments:

Lucy said...

omg this hairstyle is so pretty!! X

The Lauren/Spencer Project said...

Thanks so much! I always love your style and all of your hair and makeup tutorials!