11.05.2012

Thanksgiving Nail Tutorial (NaBloPoMo Day 5)


Okay, I know it's only November 5th, but Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, and if you're going to perfect nail art turkeys by the 22nd, you're going to have to start practicing early.


This nail tutorial was inspired by changing fall leaves and, of course, turkeys.





Okay, here goes the tutorial:


I started with a base coat to keep the nail polish from staining my nails. The one I really like right now is called Rejuvacote and it's really strengthening to help my nails grow, which is good because they usually break pretty much always.


Next, I painted half of three of my nails with colors that reminded me of fall leaves. The red is Smok'n in Havana by OPI and the green is Veruschka by Zoya. I painted both of my ring fingers with a neutral sort of brownish gray color. This one is You Don't Know Jaques by OPI.


After those pretty much dried, I painted the other half of the nails with other fall colors. The dark one is actually a sort of medium brown color called Little Brown Dress by Essie, and the gold sparkly one is Disco Dolls by Nicole by OPI. 


For my thumbs, I painted the middle in a wide horizontal stripe with the same red from earlier, and once that dried, I went over it with the same gold from before.


When the gray was dry, I placed a drop of gold in the middle of the nail, and formed a point at both ends with a toothpick to make it look like the shape of a leaf. I used red for the leaf on the other hand.


I used the brown on my thumbs to create the shape of a turkey with a semicircle and then a smaller circle above it, being careful not to cover a small part of the gold for the beak. I painted the tip of my thumbnails gold, and put a dot of red beneath the beak.


After all the nails were completely dry, I used a Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen in black to draw the veins on the leaves and the feathers on the turkeys. I finished it all off with Seche Vite topcoat which is the best topcoat, seriously. It dries really quickly and it helps to make the nail polish last longer and it's really shiny. Ta da, those are my Thanksgiving nails!

I hope you'll give them a try! Also, I'm considering doing another Thanksgiving nails tutorial later in the month with Thanksgiving foods on them. What do you guys think of that idea?


Yours till the snow falls,
S. R. Feder


What I'm listening to right now: Stay Stay Stay by Taylor Swift



1 comment:

Unknown said...

NaBloPoMo
http://adf.ly/bObct