11.06.2012

Rather Amusing occurences or life as an RA

Some funny things have happened since I have become an RA this year, nothing spectacular, but reasonably smile inducing. 

Yes, someone let me be an RA. Here is proof:

  1. Many people in the hall leave their doors unlocked unless they leave to go to class or the grocery store, etc. When you don't have to stop and get out a key to get into your room, some embarrassing situations can result. For instance, you may think you are opening your own door, but you are actually walking into the wrong room because you were distracted and not paying attention. This has happened to me -- twice. I have walked in to the same residents' room both times. Both times they were in the room and both times I loudly exclaimed from surprise.  My residents should have been the ones who were shocked. I was barging into their room and I screamed...they just looked back blankly with puzzled expressions. 
  2. One time I walked into the bathroom and the floor was flooded. I did not understand what was causing the water to overflow, but I heard the shower running and figured someone had forgotten to turn it off. I slopped through the stagnant pool to the showers and pulled back the curtain to the stall where the water was coming from. I was flummoxed to see a bare naked resident standing in the above ankle-deep water. I do not know if she saw me because she was rinsing her face under the streaming faucet, but I was burning red with humiliation. I quickly pulled back the curtain and slopped out of the bathroom. It turns out the drains had been clogged with hair run-off and that is what caused the flooding. I still do not understand why that resident decided to take a shower at that particular time.
  3. Each hall has a lounge with a kitchen, a television and comfy chairs for studying. It also has an upright white board that moves around on wheels. When it is a resident's birthday, I remind the floor by writing a message on the board. I bought expo markers for the residents and they use them to wish others a happy birthday. One time I noticed a resident did not get many birthday messages; the board was fairly blank. I had already written a happy birthday message, but I used one of the black markers to write another in slightly different hand writing. A couple days after the birthday I usually clean the board off, and this time the "happy birthday! :)" message I wrote would not come off. I looked again at my markers. The black expo marker was missing and a sharpie was sitting on the table. I had written in permanent marker. Luckily, the maintenance staff was able to remove it. It was not my proudest moment. 
 

No comments: