12.18.2011

Scalloping


Scalloping

The moment I break the surface,
my breath escapes and I am
sure I will die
until
my legs prove
their ability to kick.

I thrash with violent motions,
and disrupt the previously calm waters.
I’m like a drunk
clamoring into a sleeping house.

Yet the unsuspecting water welcomes me
with open arms.
I accept the embrace.

My pale skin
glistens as a row of reflective scales
skitter past. Like the ancestors of New Guinea,
brought back from their sea-devoured bones,

I mystify and terrify the native Angelfish,
Parrotfish, Butterflyfish, all fish, a sub-
species. My eyes sift through the sandy
ocean bottom, and I find what I came for.

Like the Australian prospectors
who came for gold
and were mistaken for the native’s deceased
come back from the depths.
I take advantage of my powerful position
and scrape through all else
to get what I want.

Golden brown shells trustingly propped open,
their numerous blue eyes peeking out innocently,
close under my firm clutch, feebly resisting
against my palm.

Arms loaded with bounty,
I break the surface, and go about
finding a knife, while the whole lot flops

hopelessly against the unfamiliar deck floor.
A feast we have of them, or rather the tiny morsels,
beneath the shell. The guts, the eyes, we rip out.

But no, we mustn't throw the worthless bits back.
That would mean scallops filtering scallops.
No, that would be too reminiscent to cannibalism,
barbarous thing!





xo,
LA

No comments: